Friday, December 12, 2014

The belle of the ball. My "First Lady" duties.

Bosom friends the final countdown has started.

My pumpkin is ready to transform itself into a carriage, the mice and birds are helping me finishing my chores in time for the ball.
No evil stepmother in my way, no ugly stepsisters to be concerned about.

Tomorrow I will make my debut into corporate society in grand style. I even have been practicing a casual curtsy to throw in, in case the CEO of the company happens to stroll by.
This Saturday I will attend for the first time my hubby's company Christmas party.

I understand that for many of you an office party is not that big of a deal, but for this simple girl from the country side it is an opportunity to make a lasting impression on my hubby's colleagues, and show them all that I am "First Lady" material. Indeed.

So I have been preparing for this event like an athlete prepares for the Olympics. All those years of ballet training are still paying off. Dedication, commitment and a touch of madness.
The theme for this party is "Indulgence". I am particularly familiar with that concept.
So here I go!

PHASE ONE -
Finding an outfit that says "festive" but not flaming Christmas ornament. Also the ensemble must be comfortable, I am not just being photographed in it. Breathing is essential. And moving too, since the curtsy moment may happen at any time. Also I hate to admit it, but I didn't want to spend a fortune on something I am going to wear perhaps twice. So the designer district was out of the question. On top of that I agreed to purchase only one new piece for the whole outfit ( our closet is bursting as it is ). The rest we will re-purpose.
Hubby and I opted for an exploration in Lincoln Road.
No parking saga this time, our friend Holy Trinity was out of town getting her Beyonce hair done so we were able to use her parking space at her South Beach condo. Amazing Grace.
Needless to say I found the perfect jacket at my first try. H&M devotion. I got my paws on a black tuxedo blazer with leather lapels and details. Tres chic. And tres cheap. By the time they applied the additional 25% off from the Holidays promotion I ended up spending only 56,14$. Score! This fabulous jacked doesn't even look like it will melt in the sun or catch on fire from excessive friction   ( like most of the H&M stuff ). To be said that H&M on Lincoln Road in Miami is worth a visit for the retail space alone. They took over the old Lincoln Theater ( art Deco gem from 1936 ) and made it into a mega store but they preserved the main features and style of the building. Magnifique!


Before

After
Inside.
Neon sign.


My blazer.





Finding something for the hubby was as usual challenging given the juicy nature of his rocking body.
Long-story-short ( for real this time ) he tried on all of the Jackets in Zara, H&M, Forever 21, Tomorrow 42 and yesterday's "Out of the Closet" thrift garments. With no positive outcome. By that point I was already in need of a white wine spritzer the size of my head. Instead I held my head up high and powered through. Just like a proper "First Lady" would have done.
And once again I came to the rescue. Or better Guess came to the rescue. I felt a vibe walking by the Guess store, my antennas got a very clear signal. It's a gift what can I tell you. I had to drag hubby into the store even though he was loosing hope. And guess what was happening at Guess? Blazers sale, 50% off the already discounted price.
As I said I am gifted that way. He found his "Indulgence" garment and I got teary eyes like I just found a long lost relative from Argentina.


Hubby's blazer.

We were both sorted.
Job well done.
Now pass me my well deserved head-size white wine spritzer.

PHASE TWO -
Find a quirky yet cute accessory that can easily be a conversation starter with the corporate folks. Easy-peasy-lemon-squeezy. Found each a pair of cheery-cheeky socks that can discretely peep between our pants and our shoes. And it only took me 10 minutes to come across them. Wham bam thank you ma'am. ( Check out Hotsocks on line, there is something for everyone! )


His & His.

THIRD AND FINAL PHASE - The grooming. Hair, left eye brow and right eye brow ( they must be treated as two separate entities ). My personal father, son and holy spirit.
Some say "you are never fully dressed without a smile".
I say "you are never properly dressed if you are sporting a uni-brow".
My first beauty destination was Churchill's Barber Shop on 12th SE 1st Street in town. I go there since the eastern European ladies at Super Cuts once made fun of my stylish hair cut. They are as good as dead as far as I am concerned.
Carlos took care of me at Churchill's and I felt I was having my hair cut done by Juan Peron. Tall, distinguished and with impeccable hair. But without the dictatorship beliefs. Well sort of, since he did what he thought was best, totally disregarding my input. Luckily I did like the end result.

Lovely retro style.

Their signature stuffed animal...







Carlos is the one in the middle.



The pretty chair I waited on for 15 min...





Next it was time to take care of the crowning glory of my face. My eyebrows. Son and Holy Spirit.
For this delicate task I only trust sturdy Ileana from Metro Beauty Center on 4th SE 1st street, right next door to Churchill's. This pint size Cuban lady should have had a personal exhibition of her labour at the Art Basel. She can work wonders. And she makes you feel like you are having your favorite aunt doing the job. She is funny and warm. Granted she never remembers where I am from, or any of our chats. I suppose she has to listen to a myriad of tales, while she waxes the unwanted hair off a client's soft spots. Recalling them all would be a waste of time.
Ileana skilfully gave to my eyes the fair frame they deserve. By the way her and Carlos from Churchill's go way back. But she quickly changed the subject once I mentioned him. Perhaps they had a very Latin romance once. Or perhaps she owes him money. I will find out what is cooking there and report.

All I have to do now is to pick up hubby's blazer from the cleaners. He has this "shop-germs" fixation, so before he wears anything new, the garment has to be sterilized and sanitized, like a surgeon's scalpels before entering the operating theater. OR hygiene level please.

Later on I will pack my week end bag for the over night we will spend in Fort Lauderdale, where this Christmas Party is being held.

I won't be able to write this week end, so all of you my bosom friends, will have plenty of time to catch up on your reading of my blog.
I will write a full report of my maiden Corporate Party first thing Monday.

I have to fulfill my "First Lady" duties first and foremost.

But please say a little prayer for me so that I won't do something ridiculous.
Nah, why bother. We all know that some shit is about go down. Pardon my french.

I better buckle up and keep practicing my curtsy.

Ciao for now.

No comments:

Post a Comment