Friday, June 12, 2015

Bitter Betty? No, now it's Working Betty.

Bosom friends!

Boy do I have news.

I don't know if you ever had to go through a career change.
Allow me to sugar coat it: it's rather displeasing.

Doing a career 180 can take quite a toll on our self esteem and can potentially transform us in Bitter Betty. Since I am not that mysterious or complicated I had the pleasure of experiencing both instances on my search for a new career path. I became "lacking self esteem Bitter Betty".
For a retired performer finding a new job is like setting your goal on finding the Holy Grail. Better yet is like trying to find Neverland together with Peter and Tinkerbell. You better be clapping your own hands otherwise you will peg out as soon as your self worth hits rock bottom.

As I discussed previously in one of my posts I have been to numerous job interviews and sent out a plethora of resumes. But it turned out I was qualified to do nothing. Apparently I do not possess the required skills to even fold T-shirts at Zara.

Anyway...

I have been in the Cruise Line industry for the past 10 years and I have loved every minute of it.
Naturally I did apply for whatever job offering there was out there for various cruise lines but as I suspected, transitioning form such a defined field as "entertainment" was not an easy task.

Long story short.

I eventually got a job interview for Crystal cruise line. To be precise this is the "Rolls Royce" of cruise lines and amongst "ship peeps" it is regarded as the best of the best. The company is opening a new office here in Miami and there was an opening for an Executive Assistant.
So I put on a lovely office friendly (yet stylish) ensemble, grabbed my Louis Vuitton and headed to the interview feeling just like Melanie Griffith in "Working Girl": empowered and savvy but without the silly hair cut. (if you are too young for this movie reference google it, worst case scenario you will get a lovely education over the 80's fashion sense...).


Eventually I was going to an interview for an industry I love and that I know very well. I felt as if I eventually solved the "right place at the right time" conundrum.
I was going to be interviewed by the Senior Vice President of Marketing and Sales and (I have to be honest) I thought I was gonna feel a bit out of place. A fish out of water, better yet a ship out of water...
I couldn't have been more wrong about it.
The energy I got from this wonderful VP lady was so positive I felt like my batteries got fully charged on the spot. I was asked many questions and I was very grateful I had the opportunity to represent myself face to face rather than via the usual cold typed resume.

I am very happy to say that the interview went very well and that I will be starting as the new Executive Assistant for Crystal's Miami office next Monday!!!
The company is flying me to Los Angeles (where they have their current head quarters) for all the necessary hands on training with the LA team and I couldn't be more excited.
Yes, I am embarking on a brand new working experience but I will be working in an industry that I love and comprehend.
It is all new but familiar.

So here I go.
Full steam ahead.
From bitter Betty to working Betty.

Ciao for now.

No comments:

Post a Comment