Friday, November 28, 2014

Ghosts of ThanksMerryGivingChristmas Past.

People I hope you are keeping pace with celebrating times passing by. My hallway still smells of Turkey but I am already knee deep in candy canes.
Fast and furious.

The echos of the gobble-gobble are still fresh in the air yet the radio waves are already saturated with Christmas carols.
Full force.

It's time to put away the stretchy pants you sport the whole of the 27th and start thinking what the hell you are going to wear for your office Holiday party. Classy but with a hint of slut ( and don't forget a new pair of spanks, the bitch from accounting must die of envy).
No time for looking back.

Shove the autumn decoration in the storage room and start de-tangling last year's tree lights.
Back to the future.

Lick your wounds from black Friday and start gearing up for the wrapping saga of the useless presents you are recycling. No shame in being thrifty. You go girl.

And even though it's time to store the poultry and get on with Rudolf,  I need to make some sense over my Thanksgiving,  by writing down the series of events that brought me to dive into the Christmas decorations like a Mexican refugee into California.

My Thanksgiving was all about birds...
I cooked and celebrated Thanksgiving with a friend and my hubby - none of us actual Americans.
All legal but holding respectively a German, a South African and an Italian passport.
I will summarize how we went about the day, please feel free to give me constructive criticisms so that next year we can take it up a notch.

  • Watched the Macy's parade on TV. Nick Jonas and the Rockets. Cirque du Soleil and Broadway shows. Lots of half naked performers in the less than pleasant New York November weather. I hope they were all given an adequate supply of Imodium. And of course plenty of balloons. A floating army of gassy characters. Imodium for them too.

  • Only the Turkey breast was given the honor to trot into the oven. Stuffing was home made as was the gravy. I dressed it all with a reasonable quantity of tears due to the chopping of a very unforgiving onion. I suppose tears are intrinsically tied to the holiday since you have to usually meet and greet and mingle with members of your family whom you wisely moved far away from many years ago. Tears of joy, rage, laughter, remorse, fear, humor, frustration.And the ever so popular crocodile tears.

  • Actually before and during the preparation of the sacrificial feast a river of Prosecco was drained. But don't worry we didn't drive home, we crawled.

  • Eventually at around 4 pm we sat at the table and ate our "we have so much to be grateful for" meal.
    I am still trying to digest it.
    Pumpkin pie followed and we ended up being bloated like the Publix Pair of Pilgrims
  •  While still under the effects of the turkey curse my hubby and friend convinced me to attend the projection of "The Hunger Games: Mockingjay part 1". The first 20 minutes Jennifer Lawrence only opens her eyes VERY wide and whines over PEEEETA. She does not speak a word.
    Then they make a commercial to promote the rebellion with Lawrence all dressed up by the late designer, Lenny Cravitz. They end up filming a whole reality show about the revolution against the Capital.
    And release a perfume and a clothes line. Lawrence and Julianne Moore also find the time to have their wigs always photo shoot ready.
    The movie ends with Lawrence still wide eyed and about to lose her shit over a bleached Peeta who now really wants a piece of her. Preferably her head.
THE END

Wishful thinking.
It's not even the end. We will be graced with part 2 and god willing part 3.

Nothing really happened in two hours of movie apart from the evacuation of the cinema we had to endure due to a fire scare. Twenty minutes into the story.
Unfortunately it was only a scare and we had to go back in the theater to enjoy the remaining 1 hour and 40 minutes of the cinematic epic.

So much to be grateful for.

As I said my Thanksgiving was all about birds, to be precise a Turkey ( just the breast ) and a mockingjay. The turkey gave me digestive coma, the mockingjay just the coma.

I perked my self up with a Home Goods shopping spree...sea shells bonanza.

But that's a story ( and pictures ) for tomorrow.

Ciao for now.

1 comment: