Thursday, June 11, 2015

Memories and stuff.

Bosom friends!

Yesterday a lovely lady who used to work for the same company as my hubby posted this of her Face Book page:

Lose the price tag and explore the world around you - according to the Millennials ..
The Next Web reports there are 79 million Millennials in the United States, three million more than the notorious Baby Boomer generation that is responsible for many of the jobs, industries and government programs at our disposal.
But industries are going to have to re-evaluate Gen-Y if they want to target us in their advertising. Most of us are starting to realize the priceless advantages of spending our hard-earned money on things like travel, education and creative activities.
Researchers say companies will need to adapt to this shift in mentality in order to compete and survive in this generation’s new world.
Ultimately, these are longer-term investments in our own individual happiness.
By spending more of our money on things that enhance our life — filling us with golden memories and unforgettable adventures — we aren’t just changing the industries that surround us, we’re shedding some much-needed positivity and light on the world.
Each day we’re convinced to buy things we don’t need, spend money we don’t have and purchase garbage that loses its value within a matter of weeks.
Generation-Y is one of the largest, most influential groups of society, and we have the unique ability to control the fate of our wallets and investments in life.
Why buy the latest phone when you can put that $400 toward a plane ticket to a country you’ve never been before?
People who constantly live with their future goals, investments and happiness at the forefront of their minds tend to live much happier lives than the rest of consumers swamped in products and rubbish.
It’s time to stop swiping the cards every time we get paid and start thinking about the memories we could be making with just a little bit of extra savings and a road.

How do we feel about it?

I admit I have mixed feelings. Well shaken and blended together.

Modern day life is a bitch. That is a fact.
Instant gratification is wildly available both in the form of social media egocentricity and materialistic acquisitions (AKA retail therapy).

Does the Millenials generation (my generation) even know what it wants? Most of us don't even need to want anything. We have it already. Most of the time we only want the newer version of whatever we already posses. Most of the time we don't know how to choose or what to choose simply because we don't know any worse. We have had it so easy we ended up finding difficult to spot what is actually going to enhance our life simply because our lives don't need much enhancement to begin with. Third world children's lives do need some improvement, ours mostly need more substance.

"Most of us are starting to realize the priceless advantages of spending our hard-earned money on things like travel, education and creative activities".
Is that so?
I didn't think that my generation was so proactive. I may be wrong.
I still see plenty of Millenials very much into what they drive, what they wear and how much they can blow (up their noses or out of their wallets) during a week end.
How many of us have spent a silly amount of money on a designer bag or on the latest "designed in  California, made in China" gadget? Personally I gave in on both fronts. I have failed the "How shallow are you" test.
I feel we were never programmed to choose what we wanted most and instead we were given the opportunity to grab it all. I am not going to blame it entirely on modern society because those decisions were ours but we were certainly enabled to a degree. I myself find difficult to think of one single thing I really want with the passion. At 34 years of age I feel I have accomplished plenty considering all the variables. I have been to places I didn't even know existed.
Dare I say I am tired...?
Nevertheless I am about to start it all over again. New city, new job, new career, new everything yet I am still the "good old me".
I want to travel some more but I have done plenty of that before and also packing is a bitch.
I learned and educated my self on what I felt passionate about once upon a time. Been there, done that.
I do enjoy creative activities and I am damn good at those but it's only worth creating something is there is someone else on the other end making use of it. Creating something per se might not feel as fulfilling.
Perhaps I am not tired. Probably I just got lazy.

And that's what I think is the Millenials worst enemy: being lazy.

It's way easier to prove you have a enviable life style by buying status symbol items rather than spending a month traveling through the remote parts of Asia.

It's way easier to swipe our cards as soon as we get paid to make us feel accomplished. But unfortunately that fulfilling retail therapy high will loose its value as quickly as the stuff we bought.
And then we are out there again looking for the next quick fix.

It's sort of a vicious cycle and I am a willing participant as much as the next of you.

People who constantly live with their future goals, investments and happiness at the forefront of their minds tend to live much happier lives than the rest of consumers swamped in products and rubbish.

I do agree with this last statement.
But we can't have it all even if we have been convinced that we can.
Choosing between possessions and experiences (or memories) is not as an easy task as the above article suggests.

I personally think I need a bit of reprogramming on that front but do I really want it?

Ciao for now.

No comments:

Post a Comment