Monday, January 26, 2015

Hurricane Bianca.

Bosom friends!

I know it's Monday and the light at the end of the tunnel seems very dim but here I am writing to cheer you up a little (hopefully...).

Last Saturday (as I anticipated in "Feel like a woman wear a dress") I attended Bianca Del Rio's comedy special show at the Colony theatre in South Beach.




Bianca Del Rio (his real name is Roy Haylock)was the winner of RuPaul's Drag Race season 6. She is a self-proclaimed "clown in a dress" and she emerged on the New Orleans' gay entertainment scene in 1998 and nearly immediately became a premiere nightlife entertainer.

I watched the whole Drag Race competition in one weekend with hubby and a couple of very patient friends. From episode one to the very final. A marathon. I loved it but when the winner was proclaimed by her holiness RuPaul, I felt as if I just ate a whole bag of gummy bears thanks to my impulsive compulsive behaviour. I enjoyed every minute of it but I was then feeling rather nauseous.

I went through a full immersion of Bianca and the rest of the contestants on the "Race" and when I found out she was coming to Miami with her "Rolodex of Hate" show I put my running heels on and skipped to the box office to get tickets to her comedy special.

I decided to go to the Colony in full drag hoping that Bianca was going to adopt me as her "daughter" and guide me to stardom. Also I had to show off my new Diane von Fürstenberg wrap dress.
Look how pretty:







The Colony theatre is a little Union gem on Lincoln road and it retains his delightful 1935-era art deco charm. Perfect venue for such a show even though I have no idea how they fit Bianca's wig in such a tiny space. The magic of theatre right?

Bianca's show was exactly what I expected it to be.
She is no lady and she has a Rolodex full of hateful jokes ready to go. Literally.
During the hour and 15 minutes show nobody was safe from her sour tongue especially an unfortunate straight girl who just kept getting it from miss Del Rio.
Bianca's humor is not for the faint of heart. She dishes it all out as a loud woman but you better take it like a man. I am not gonna compare her to Joan Rivers but Del Rio has the same quick and ferocious wit.
When Bianca's jokes are good, they are REALLY good.

We met Del Rio after the show since we did purchase VIP tickets (I was not granted any special treatment, I paid for it...). She was very graceful and cracked a joke regarding me being Italian...something about the smell of sausage...In all honesty that was not the reaction I was hoping for (no expectations, only hopes). I put myself together so carefully to make a good impression on her simply because I admire her. Anyway...She did what she was payed to do: entertain us and autograph her picture.

They call me Tilly.

I was quite starstruck when I got to meet her so I didn't manage to tell her about my Drag Race marathon but perhaps she will read this and then she will be in the know.
Bianca if you read this please let me know so that I can die happy...and brag about it too.
Many thanks,
Tilly.

Myself with Bianca.

I am very happy I got to meet her and see her show live.
Finally a Drag Queen who uses her looks as a base from where to showcase her talent. You can only look for so long at a pretty man in a wig, right Courtney Act?
Bianca doesn't just look the part she really is a live entertainment beast!

On another note last night I watched Miss Universe being broadcasted live from the city of Doral, Miami.
It was like watching RuPaul's Drag Race in a way. Tall girls wearing a lot of makeup and a lot of fake hair. In Drag race the contestants fight for a cash price, in Miss Universe they all fight for world peace. Allegedly.
The winner was Paulina Vega from Colombia. The poor girl was asked what she thought was the biggest contribution her country gave to the world...Our thought went straight Cocaine. 

Ciao for now.

No comments:

Post a Comment