Thursday, March 12, 2015

I'm a Barbie girl, in a Barbie world. Life in plastic is fantastic.

Bosom friends!

Today I will take a stroll down memory lane and let you all know what my childhood guilty pleasure used to be. (guilty because "boys are not supposed to play with that!")

My universe used to revolve around the most glorious, lavish, blondest-of-them-all doll ever created. She had a career as model, astronaut, veterinarian, doctor and the list goes on. 
She has been going steady with the same man for decades and has been smart enough only to have a "Dream Wedding" and never actually tie the knot. She is very wise with her money and has invested in many real estates from villas to condos, even dream homes and horses.
I am talking about the doll I passionately desired my whole life: BARBIE.


I used to play with her for hours, I had a whole box with all her dresses neatly stored and even some custom made gowns patiently sewed by my brilliant grandmother.
My first one was a very basic model since my parents couldn't afford the annual Christmas version all done up in a sumptuous red velvet gown. I only got Beach Barbie who was sparingly dressed in a halter top swim suit. Nevertheless I loved her with all my heart and she was only the first of a collection that got better and better thanks to my very progressive and modern parents. They even got me the Barbie Western Fun Mobile Home as my Christmas present in 1988. 

 I used to store it away with a big handkerchief on it to keep the dust away. I loved and still love anything Barbie and even though the cruel kids I grew up with used to bitterly make fun of my playing taste, I did not give a shit about it and carried on having fun with my beloved Barbie and her fabulous world.

 



My playing ritual consisted in brushing Barbie's hair, giving her a new do, changing her outfit and accompany her in any activity she was busy with on any given day: from walking in a fashion show to having friends over for dinner.
Barbie was everything I wanted to be: beautiful, independent, engaged to a handsome man, owner of a Cher worthy closet and living a life in true Zsa Zsa Gabor style.


Today times have changed.
Now playing has become technological. 
Kids want to be connected, wired and most of them trot around with an iPad strapped together with their bib, as long as they keep quite everybody is happy.
Mattel had to up its game too and is now taking interaction with dolls to a whole new level.
I have been talking to my Barbies for years, but the one coming out this fall will actually listen and talk back.
Ladies and Gentlemen I am proud to introduce HELLO BARBIE.
 




"Hello Barbie" uses speech recognition and connects to Wi-Fi. When someone presses a button on her belt buckle, Barbie will record what you say. As the doll "listens," audio recordings travel over the Web to a server where the snippets of speech are recognized and processed. That information is used to help form Hello Barbie's responses. It's saved, so Barbie keeps learning more and more about you, in order to inform her responses. Overtime, "Hello Barbie" will learn a child's likes and dislikes so that she can incorporate them into conversation.
That is more than we usually expect as a result from any other conversation we have during our average day. People actually listening!
On the other hand we have the perpetually concerned peeps who are saying:
"Kids using 'Hello Barbie' aren't only talking to a doll, they are talking directly to a toy conglomerate whose only interest in them is financial. It's creepy—and creates a host of dangers for children and families. The technology could leave children vulnerable to stealth advertising. Children could, for example, be subtly encouraged to ask their parents for related Barbie toys or accessories", said Susan Linn, the director of Campaign for a Commercial-Free Childhood.
Susan, Susan, Susan.
Are you that naive?
Any corporation who is trying to sell something is only interested in us financially. There are whole departments in corporate America with the sole purpose of analyzing our habits, likes, dislikes, income, diet, even with how many piece of toilet-paper we wipe our precious assholes.
I am pretty sure Barbie does not represent a threat to our beloved children.
What I think is creepy for children is:
- overindulgent parents fueled by a sense of guilt over the lack to time they can or are willing to dedicate to their brood;
- the way that social media is already part of children lives from day one (what privacy??? An infant picture is proudly shared on the Net while the child still dripping with pieces of placenta);
- adults who do not listen to the children needs or are over barring all together;
- the fact that an iPad or an iPhone (sometimes both) have taken the place of coloring books and Legos;
- people who are so busy protecting the children from everything and anything, that when the first adversity comes along the now grown-up baby is completely lacking the tools to face the shit that has hit the fan.
Now that Barbie is no longer wearing heels and has a more realistic body shape here we go with another witch hunt.
You as a parent think that Hello Barbie is dangerous? Simply do not buy it. TADAH!

At the recent toy fair in New York City a spokeswoman asked Barbie "What should I be when I grow up?" The response related to an earlier part of their conversation: "Well, you told me you like being on stage, so maybe a dancer?"

I was never asked that question by an adult.
As far as I am concerned I am SOLD!

I am gonna buy two.
One for me and one for the child I used to be.

Ciao for now.

1 comment: