Monday, March 16, 2015

Synthetic fabrics or synthetic children?

Bosom friends!

Content alert: if you are not open to any opinion but yours, read but don't hate. I am more than willing to hear anybodies side of the story, so comment away!

Domenico Dolce and Stefano Gabbana (AKA Dolce & Gabbana) usually only make fashion statements. This time around they made a social statement while talking about parenting and in vitro fertilization (IVF) to the Italian magazine Panorama.



This is what allegedly was recorded during the interview:

“We oppose gay adoptions. The only family is the traditional one. No chemical offsprings and rented uterus: life has a natural flow, there are things that should not be changed.”
Mr Dolce said procreation “must be an act of love”. He continued “You are born to a mother and a father – or at least that’s how it should be… I call children of chemistry, synthetic children. Rented uterus, semen chosen from a catalog.” Gabbana added: “The family is not a fad. In it there is a supernatural sense of belonging.”

It sounds like they were describing their 2016 fall collection.
Next season IVF will be out as well as same sex parents. But keep all of that in your closet since it may make a return on the catwalks next year. Vito to synthetic fabrics, green light to organic material with a touch of supernatural sense of belonging...

After that hell broke loose.

Sir Elthon John  pored his outrage on Instagram:

How dare you refer to my beautiful children as "synthetic". And shame on you for wagging your judgemental little fingers at IVF - a miracle that has allowed legions of loving people, both straight and gay, to fulfil their dream of having children. Your archaic thinking is out of step with the times, just like your fashions. I shall never wear Dolce and Gabbana ever again. #BoycottDolceGabbana

Courtney Love is apparently having a bonfire to burn all of her Dolce & Gabbana pieces.

Ricky Martin, whom is not living la vida loca anymore, as father of twins (obviously not from his own womb) wrote:

@dolcegabbana ur voices R 2powerfull 2B spreading so much h8. Wake up, Its 2015 Luv urselves guys #boycottdolcegabbana

The LGBT community is already full on working on their boycott Dolce & Gabbana campaign and I am pretty sure they will start throwing fresh placenta at whomever they will catch sporting any of the designers products just like Greenpeace would throw blood at people wearing real fur coats. 

In Italy we say "calma e sangue freddo" which means "keep calm and keep your blood cool".

I would like to point out that this dissertation came from two fashion designers and not from one of the United Nations spokesperson.
The "boys" were feeling in the mood for children in 2005 and now they have now changed style.
As fashion designers do.


In 2005 (left picture) they talked to Vanity Fair about their desire to be fathers and posed all cuddly with a diverse brood, in 2015 (right picture) they went for a Pulp-Fiction-Tarantino-esque look and let us know that this season they support the traditional family.

After a good amount of shit catapulted in their direction (as a result of their very Sicilian opinions about family) this is what they answered back:

"I was talking about my personal view, without judging other people's choices and decisions," he added. "I'm Sicilian and I grew up in a traditional family, made up of a mother, a father and children. I am very well aware of the fact that there are other types of families and they are as legitimate as the one I've known...But in my personal experience, family had a different configuration. That is the place where I learnt the values of love and family."
Gabbana said in his own statement, "it was never our intention to judge other people's choices. We do believe in freedom and love."
"We firmly believe in democracy and the fundamental principle of freedom of expression that upholds it," he added.

Now they are dancing a tedious minuet of political correctness.

Personally I do not give a half rat's ass about what D&G say over anything but fashion.
That is their expertise and if I choose to buy their stuff is because I like it and not because they are such lovely human beings.
Also I don't think that boycotting their brand is going to do much to open minds and make this planet a better place.

As I said before there is way worst in the world to get huffing and puffing about.

Yes, the way they described IVF children and such was not delicate or considerate, but they are entitled to their opinions as much as anybody else.

Ones can also sit back and enjoy the shit fest (that would be me).

I will not have children because I do not want any, not because Dolce & Gabbana told me so.

Furthermore the Italian dynamic fashion duo is not about to run a country or stipulate new laws.
They will keep matching fabrics and decide what skirt length will be a must for next season.

Form where I am standing they both look pretty harmless.

Ciao for now.

3 comments:

  1. I agree with your take, Attilio. They have their opinions - as closed off and as out-of-touch as they are - but they don't really amount to a hill of beans. EVERYONE has an opinion. At the end of the day, they're fashion designers - nothing more. I wholeheartedly support anyone who chooses not to purchase their clothes because of what they stand for, but for me...I don't really wear them and probably won't ever wear them - regardless of how they feel about this issue or ANY issue. I don't really look to them (or any uninformed individuals) to guide my opinions. I'm fully capable of forming my own decisions/opinions by educating myself from people who actually know about the matters in which they speak.

    ReplyDelete